The Institute for Medicaid Innovation (IMI) is a national 501(c)3 nonprofit, nonpartisan research and policy organization focused on providing innovative solutions that address important clinical, research, and policy issues in Medicaid through multi-stakeholder engagement, research, data analysis, education, quality improvement initiatives, and dissemination and implementation activities. To remain relevant and responsive to the evolving needs of the Medicaid population, the Institute seeks to understand what works well in the Medicaid program, identify areas for improvement, and disseminate innovative initiatives and solutions that address critical issues. IMI is currently funded 100% through research grants and contracts. IMI does not lobby or advocate and is not a membership-based or trade association.
Mission & Vision
The mission of the Institute for Medicaid Innovation is to improve the lives of Medicaid enrollees through the development, implementation, and diffusion of innovative and evidence-based models of care that promote quality, value, equity, and the engagement of individuals, families, and communities.
The vision of the Institute for Medicaid Innovation is to provide independent, unbiased, nonpartisan information and analysis that informs Medicaid policy and improves the health of the nation.
Impact of Work
The Institute for Medicaid Innovation aims to be a leader in Medicaid innovation by impacting several key areas:
- Improve equitable access to high-quality, evidence-based care that positively impacts health outcomes and reduces disparities.
- Promote person-centered, family, and community informed and integrated care.
- Address social determinants of health, including racism and social, gender, and economic oppression to increase access, coverage, and engagement of all people.
- Generate the evidence and disseminate findings that demonstrate the value of the Medicaid program.
- Accelerate dissemination of innovative initiatives and evidence-based practices.
- Inform policy decisions at the local, state, and federal level.
- Facilitate and lead collaborations and partnerships among all Medicaid stakeholders.
- Identify areas for improvement and develop innovative solutions.
The Institute for Medicaid Innovation has established and maintains strong partnerships with key Medicaid stakeholders including:
- State Medicaid Agencies
- Federal Government
- Medicaid Enrollees, Families, and Caregivers
- Medicaid Health Plans
- Community Advocacy Organizations
- Clinicians and Provider Groups
- Academic and Non-Academic Researchers
- Community-Based Organizations
The work of the Institute for Medicaid innovation is informed, guided, and supported by an exceptional group of national experts representing academic and non-academic research institutions, advocacy and community organizations, clinician groups, Medicaid managed care organizations, state and federal policymakers, and, most importantly, Medicaid members and their families. These experts contribute to the mission of the Institute by serving on the Board of Directors, National Advisory Board, committees, subcommittees and on funded research and quality improvement initiatives as members of project specific National Advisory Committees and Technical Expert Panels.