A Year in Review: IMI 2017 Highlights
January 5, 2018
With its mission to improve the lives of Medicaid enrollees through the development, implementation, and diffusion of innovative and evidence-based models of care that promote quality, value, equity and the engagement of patients, families, and communities. The Institute provides independent, unbiased, nonpartisan information and analysis that informs Medicaid policy at the national and state level that aims to improve the health of the nation.
The following offers a few highlights of what the Institute accomplished in 2017:
- Collaborated on a project with Kaiser Family Foundation on women’s access and coverage to reproductive health services in Medicaid and released a joint report.
- Secured a second round of funding from Robert Wood Johnson Foundation for the CHOPT for Medicaid project to launch a national learning collaborative with Medicaid MCOs.
- Collaborated on a project with the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality on sex and gender disparities and published a research article in a peer-reviewed journal.
- Served on the National Quality Forum’s Medicaid Innovator Accelerator Project, Standing Committee for Perinatal and Women’s Health, and Medicaid IAP Advisory Group.
- Served as a subject matter expert the National Academy of Sciences’ (formerly IOM) Committee on Ensuring Patient Access to Affordable Drug Therapies and as an external reviewer for the Making Medicine Affordable: A National Imperative final report.
- Released the following Issue Briefs:
- Hosted the 2017 Clinical & Research Conference: Addressing Social Determinants of Health in Medicaid.
- Hosted the 2017 Opioid Summit on Capitol Hill with expert presentations from advocates, clinicians, researchers, managed care, and most importantly, individuals enrolled in the Medicaid program who have benefited from substance use disorder treatment.
- Released the 2017 Best Practices Compendium.
- Received funding to launch a national research project on Health Care Delivery and Access to Women’s Health in Medicaid.
- Developed an annual Medicaid MCO survey to aggregate national data focused on several key areas including: High Risk Care Coordination, Value-Based Purchasing, Pharmacy, Behavioral Health, Women’s Health, Children & Adolescent Health, and LTSS.
- Secured funding from the California Health Care Foundation to launch a project in 2018 focused on access to behavioral health services for pregnant women in Medicaid.
- Published research findings from projects in several scientific journals including Journal of General Internal Medicine, Journal of Perinatal and Neonatal Nursing, and Women’s Health Issues.
- Presented at numerous scientific conferences hosted by the National Institutes of Health, Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services, Academy Health, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Patient Centered Outcomes Research Institute, and National Quality Forum.
- Supported and mentored three undergraduate summer interns, one graduate intern, and four doctoral fellows from Harvard University, University of California, Berkeley, University of Nebraska, and University of Michigan.
The Institute for Medicaid Innovation had a busy year in 2017. We want to thank everyone who supported and participated in the work and mission of the organization. We are grateful to have worked with you in 2017 and are looking forward to working together as part of this year's line-up of exciting initiatives. Stay tuned as we announce the plans for 2018.